January 13, 2013: BgMask 0.21 is released! Video tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7uJUiyJ1yw
This script adds several tools under Script-Fu - BgMask: "Extract background...", "Mask against background...", "Average linked layers...", and in BgMask 0.2 there are also "Extract background manually" and "Mask adjustments...". It can be used to mask moving objects/characters from animations with still background.
- Extract background is used to extract background from video frames. The background must be completely still. This is probably only useful with flash animations and the like.
- Mask against background can be used to chroma key a bunch of frames against their background. Don't expect great results from it! But, it's a bit better in BgMask 0.2.
- Average linked layers averages pixel values for the selected (linked) layers. It's not really useful for anything.
- Extract background manually when the automated version cannot work (e.g. when the object you're trying to mask is not moving too much), this tool helps you to reconstruct the background from several frames manually.
- Mask adjustments can be used to "fix" the masks that Mask against background produces. You can get rid of stray pixels, blur and grow/stretch all masks in the sequence, hopefully achieving a result that is good enough for your purposes.
Read the full description for detailed breakdown.