I tried to install under Ubuntu but got this error:
install: missing destination file operand after `cartoonizer.c'
Perhaps a simple solution for this, but I don't know
I ran into the exact same error, when I tried to run
$ gimptool-2.0 --install cartoonizer.c
in my home directory instead of the directory I extracted the archive to.
Here's step by step what I did to successfully install this plugin:
1. Download it, let's say to ~/Downloads for now
2. Extract it. It appears to be an uncompressed tar archive and not a gzipped one. My archiver complained about this and I fixed this on the shell:
$> tar -xf ~/Downloads/cartoonizer-0.1.tar_1.gz
3. Change to the right directory
$> cd cartoonizer
4. Run gimptool-2.0 as described in the README
5. Ignore errors. I had some complaint about line 679
6. Restart gimp and enjoy