When I open GIMP, it loads right up to "Looking for data files - Fonts..." then it stops responding and has to be shut down. I have downloaded version 2.4.5 and this problem still occurs - it used to function well up until now...
I tried many suggested solutions (reducing number of fonts, deleting font cache, deleting fonts directories, reinstalling all fonts, changing font directories). Nothing worked.
This is how I finally fixed this: When I was copying C:\Windows\Fonts to another location, the copy process could not have been completed for one specific font (Mingu). I found out, this font is constantly used by Acrobat, therefore cannot be copied nor deleted. I killed the Acrobat process, deleted the given font and finally loaded GIMP with the fonts (after weeks). Good luck!
disable all antivirus in place. Relaunch the program and wait a while. It works.
Moreover, you should disable antivirus only for the first time: once you have bypassed the font problem, it will go quickly to the operative session. After that, there is no need to disable the antivirus.
I paid for some of these fonts
Unless otherwise noted, the rights for the individual plugins are with their respective authors. Logo image by Jakub Steiner.