You are here

gimp_layer_new_from_pixbuf could not be located...

When I run GIMP 2.7.5 or GIMP 2.8.0-RC1 I get this error: The procedure entry point gimp_layer_new_from_pixbuf could not be located in the dynamic link library libgimpui-2.0-0.dll. The title on the dialog box is file-pdf.exe - Entry Point Not Found

I don't get that error with GIMP 2.6.11 or 2.6.12. I installed 2.7.5 about a week ago, and GIMP 2.8.0-RC1 today. I'm running Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.

Does anyone know how to fix the error? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Forums: 

I fixed the problem. I think I had an older DLL as a result of installing 2.6.12 after 2.8.0-RC1.

I had to uninstall GIMP 2.8.0-RC1 and 2.7.5, then delete the 2.7 folder too. I installed GIMP 2.8.0-RC1 in a GIMP 2.8 folder but then none of the scripts nor plugins appeared in the menus, and GIMP didn't know how to open jpg and png files. I then installed 2.6.12, but GIMP 2.8.0-RC1 still had the jpg/png problem. I then installed 2.7.5 in the GIMP 2.7 folder where it and 2.8.0-RC1 had wanted to install, and now GIMP 2.8.0-RC1 can open jpg files, export to png files, and all of the scripts/plugins are in the menu. And I no longer get the startup DLL error that I was getting. Having all three versions installed might not be wise, but I need to export to TIF files, so until GIMP 2.8.x can do that, I need to use an older version too.

The fact that GIMP 2.8.0-RC1 didn't work properly when it was the only thing I installed suggests it is relying on files being there from a previous 2.7.x install. But I could be wrong. All that matters is I think I now have GIMP back up and running. Now to use it and find out if that's true...

It did for me in Windows XP 32 bit anyways.
Even if you rename the install location it will uninstall Gimp-2.0 directory.
This would remove older DUPLICATE versions of the dll files that cause this problem.

-Rod

It did uninstall 2.6.12, so it was gone, but then because I couldn't export to a TIF file, I re-installed 2.6.12 after the 2.8 install. So I'm assuming that's when an old DLL got in there, except 2.6.12 went into a different folder than where 2.8 was.

I believe the error is with 2.8 itself regarding TIF export. Still, I would keep both as long as they are in separarate directories (which mine is). There's other issues with 2.8 too and I do hope it get's resolved soon. Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with 2.8 rc1. Now starting to use it as my main GIMP editor despite the idiocincrasies that I've already outlined at GIMPChat so won't rehash here. :)

Subscribe to Comments for "gimp_layer_new_from_pixbuf could not be located..."